Wessex Cave Club (cheddar)

Good places to stay when camping or B&B.

Wessex Cave Club (cheddar)

Postby Timmy » Tue 04 May 2010 11:04 am

Ideal cheap hut for staying in cheddar. Book way in advanced and you can probably get 15 ppl booked in, but for smaller group its never really been an issue

It a caving club so be willing to have friendly arguments with cavers about which is better, but half of them do both so its hardly as issue. They are all really friendly and you might even get a chance at some caving.

The hut its self isnt amazing but its good enough, loads of beds, good sized kitchen, good lounge and showers equal to that of telford shower. For £3.50 a night for students, its amazing value.

Climbing a short drive way but theres cheddar gorge and a number of quarys in the area, we went for a week and had enought to do. Lots of sport and trad.

A few good pubs in walking distance from the hut. The hunters which in many caving minds is the centre of the universe and is worth checking out. However i would STRONGLY recomend not taking large groups of students there. The alturnitive is the Queen VIctoria in Priddy. Friendly locals, hell ask me or marley about it, very good.

I've been meaning to put this place up all year, so served as a good form of exams revision procrastination

http://www.wessex-cave-club.org/index.htm
Timmy

Re: Wessex Cave Club (cheddar)

Postby marley » Tue 04 May 2010 11:11 am

i second that hut is really nice good lounge with a fire good kitchen

the pub i cant remember too much of :s but is excellent as the fresher 09/10 can confirm
marley

Postby Timmy » Tue 04 May 2010 11:23 am

After a random invite to the queen vic from some guy we met, we woke up with

1) hang overs
2) knowing all the locals
3) having a bar tab which was set up becuase we where to lazy to keep paying. Cleared it at the end of the night.
4) Only £30 less in my wallet
5) passing a weird caving initiation
6) Having lots of extra numbers in my phone
7) the lax of knoledge of how we got back into the hut
8) wondering if they had lockin's every wednesday or not?
9) Thinking how a trip to Egypt do learn to scuba dive would be amazing but cost and uni makes it a no go
10) Descovering the other half (its a drink)

However my memories hazzy about that night LOL
Timmy

Postby timboroo » Tue 04 May 2010 11:35 am

Top tip: dont get matt to drive you back drunk
timboroo

Return to Places to stay when climbing